[opendtv] Re: More NTSC B&W to NTSC Color

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 20:33:14 -0600

Kirk Bayne wrote:

> Example: CBS broadcast some programs in Color from late 1953
> till (full prime time color) 1966, did CBS switch from 30.00 to
> 29.97 for the Color broadcasts, then back to 30.00 for the B&W
> programs, or did CBS use 29.97 for all Network broadcasts (B&W
> and Color)?

I'm not a broadcaster, but from what Mr. Shutt says, CBS just went to 29.97 for
everything, starting in 1953 or thereabouts.

And why not? Do the receivers care about the one dropped frame in 1000?

From previous discussions, the audio noise problem that 29.97 was meant to
solve in color TVs, when color was being transmitted, is not a problem anyway,
and hasn't been for a long time. So I guess the issue now is just one of
switching gear in the stations?