[opendtv] Re: Multi-band TV receiver and DVB-H

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:50:07 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> E-VSB will never be included in handheld devices for the same
> reason that
> DVB-T was considered and rejected - POWER CONSUMPTION.  The
> onus of DVB-H is
> to lower power consumption of the receiver by grouping
> related data packets
> in such a way that the receiver can multiplex on and off.

Forget E-VSB. I was speaking of other possibilities for
multiplexing more robust streams over ATSC than using E-VSB.
(Although I suppose these other ways could be included in
E-VSB). I already suggested assigning turbo-coded sub-channels
in an ATSC multiplex as one example, in which the robust
bandwidth would be almost infinitely variable.

Anyway, what makes you think you can't play the same power
saving games over ATSC as DVB-H does in a possible DVB-T
multiplex? Group the packets to allow the receiver to go
in some sleep mode for much of its duty cycle.