[opendtv] Re: Moving outside the bundle

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 01:21:07 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Note that the vast majority of homes view NFL games via a MVPD
> service,

Irrelevant, once again. What we are talking about here is where things are
headed. More and more people are watching on small screens, and the NFL,
following after MLB, have reacted to this on their own, independent of previous
agreements. This is the important new trend, NOT looking back at the way it has
been.

> There has been a slow migration from broadcast to MVPDs for most sports

Very old news.

> The NFL has been the most valuable franchise for broadcasters,

Again, even older news. The new news is what the NFL is getting into now,
different from what they were doing in 1970, Craig. Using different media than
what they used decades ago.

> Skipper has said NOTHING about moving "direct to consumer," i.e.
> over the Internet and without a bundle in the equation, other
> than the deal with MLS.

Really Craig? Again? These quotes below are not specific to the MLS deal:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/25/us-espn-consumers-idUSKBN0E510V20140525

. . .

"We've just got to think about other business models," Skipper said last week
at an event in Bristol, Connecticut, where ESPN is headquartered. "We're not
far along on any them, but we do think about how we might capture more money
direct from consumers."
. . .

ESPN currently sells only a few products directly to consumers, including ESPN
The Magazine and its Insider online service, which provides in-depth analysis
and statistics.

In March, Disney took a step in the direction of digital distribution, in
partnership with a pay TV provider. It signed a programming deal with Dish
Network that granted the satellite operator the rights to distribute some of
its networks, including ESPN, over the Internet. The new Dish service may
launch by the end of the year.

***While ESPN is exploring a direct-to-consumer strategy***, Skipper said
digital advertising, through sales of ads on its websites and online
properties, is likely the most promising growth opportunity for the network
over the next two to three years.

Skipper talking, Disney talking, direct to consumer as a new growth
opportunity, and advertising. Please memorize this.

> "The deal represents a significant extension of the league's embrace of
> mobile video technology as it **breaks from the exclusivity** it long gave
> broadcast, cable and satellite television partners ..."
>
> What deal? Major League Baseball?

No, Craig. The deal between Verizon and the NFL, which was the subject of that
article.

> The NFL is exploiting their franchise in every possible way. The Verizon
> deal is an App, not broadcasts of NFL games.

Wrong, Craig. It is live coverage of the games.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324563004578525060861520512

Verizon Wireless will pay $1 billion for rights to air more NFL games over its
customers' smartphones, placing a big bet on changing viewer habits as
Americans watch more of their favorite shows on screens other than the
television.

Next year, the National Football League will begin to show Sunday afternoon
games from customers' home markets on Verizon Wireless phones, adding more of
television's most valuable content to the growing inventory that users can
watch on mobile devices. The league is already showing games from Sunday,
Monday and Thursday nights on Verizon phones. Typically, only one game is
played on those nights, while about 10 to 12 are played across the country on
Sunday afternoons.

. . .

Check your facts please, Craig. I seem to have to spoon-feed these quotes to
you over and over again, and they still don't seem to stick. Maybe if you
checked your own facts, you might retain them longer.

Interesting too that Verizon is circumventing the local blackout rule, reported
by a very recent NY Post article.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/03/nfl-partner-verizon-went-behind-leagues-back-to-end-blackouts/