[opendtv] Re: More on Verizon & Google

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:39:43 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I don't understand how anyone can complain about "special interests"
>> running the ATSC, when ATSC reception the ONLY unwalled game in town,
>> when it comes to TV program distribution. Maybe we should be pushing
>> for a return to the AOL and Compuserve walled garden "Internet"
>> pretenders.
>
> Really?
>
> People can rent TV shows and movies at tons of stores and kiosks.
>
> People can rent or view many TV shows for free via the Internet.

Yes, you did focus on the crux of our disagreements on this topic.

So, you are of the opinion that TV in the US would best be distributed only at
Blocbuster rentals or as paid downloads.

Great. Let's do the same with the Internet. Your ISP will block all access to
the Internet, and you can pay for access, web page by web page. What a great
improvement that would be. Rupert Murdoch would approve. As would your ISP.

I wonder why the ATSC and DVB, not to mention the IETF, didn't understand the
wisdom of this model? They should make you Chairman of the FCC, Craig.