[opendtv] Re: More on Verizon & Google

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:11:08 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Maybe the the problem is that the FCC is no longer necessary. They
> cannot do anything without authorization from Congress, and they are
> pretty much a toothless tiger in terms of their regulatory role.
> Nearly every significant decision they make is overturned by the
> courts...

Because they occasionally overstep their bounds, Craig. Thank goodness we don't
have a system in which overly-activist unelected bureaucrats are allowed to
define public policy.

Nothing demonstrates this more clearly that this FCC's approach to developing a
broadband plan.

They are to be the managers of the resource, not the owners. Managing the use
of a resource means going to the owners of the resource and asking for their
intentions. It does not mean the manager imposing its intentions on the owners.