[opendtv] Re: More on Beta vs VHS

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:28:31 +0200

What ? Not a single mention of the best 1/2 inch tape format of them all ? The Philips Video 2000

My thought exactly (though less informed technically).

I got to play with one of these beasts during my military year.
I remember recording "Dance of the vampires" from Polanski off the air on it, with
very satisfying results. It was said to have the smallest bandwidth of the three, but perhaps
due to the dynamic tracking, it gave a rather enjoyable picture (well we were not using 32
" tubes at the time  either).
Worked just like a big audio cassette, flip included.

I was not aware they had pushed it to 5 hours per side, i remember 4, and it
already sounded impressive to me, at the time.