[opendtv] More TiVo-to-go

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:51:17 -0500

> The ability to connect directly to digital video
> recorders and transfer video content without having to
> transcode the file through a PC is significant, AMD said,
> as it reduces the time spent downloading and playing back
> fresh video content on a portable media player.

If one records TV shows onto a DVD recorder, then
whips out the DVD and takes it on the road for viewing
later on a laptop PC, what functionality has been lost
other than the TiVo bells and whistles left back at
home?

The only practical problem I see today is that
standard DVD players don't necessarily play back
the DVDs recorded on a DVD recorder, at least not
when these are recorded in the higher compression
modes. But surely, that problem is very simple
to resolve, with nothing more than adding a codec
or two to the laptop PC, no?

What's the big deal?

Bert

------------------------------------
AMD unveils media processor, teams with TiVo for DVRs
By Spencer D. Chin, EE Times
January 03, 2005 (10:43 AM EST)

MANHASSET, N.Y. - AMD has unveiled a system-on-chip
(SoC) solution for portable media players that supports
direct video content transfer to digital video recorders
and scaling to DVD-quality displays. At the same time,
AMD is partnering with TiVo to support its new DVR
initiative.

Designated the Au1200, AMD's processor is said to offer
long battery life and does not require a digital signal
processor or complex DSP coding. By integrating media
acceleration hardware and media player software, AMD
(Sunnyvale, Calif.) believes the processor can help
makers of media players speed time-to-market and
possibly offer more affordable devices.

The ability to connect directly to digital video
recorders and transfer video content without having to
transcode the file through a PC is significant, AMD said,
as it reduces the time spent downloading and playing back
fresh video content on a portable media player.

AMD is partnering with DVR manufacturer TiVo to support
the TiVo-To-Go initiative, which enables direct transfer
of programs from a Series2 TiVo DVR directly to portable
media players, laptops and other portable devices.

Once content is on the media player, the processor
provides a DVD-quality display that can be scaled directly
to screens as large as 1024 x 768 without compromising
image quality. The Au1200 is designed to support
industry-standard media formats including MPEG2, MPEG4,
WMV9, H.263 and DivX.

The processor consumes less than 400 milliwatts at 400
MHz and supports both Windows CE.NET and Linux. It
incorporates AES-128 data encryption/decryption.

AMD plans to make the Au1200 processor available in
production quantities the second quarter of 2005 in 333MHz,
400MHz and 500MHz versions. In 10,000 unit quantities, the
333MHz version is priced at $22.50.

Copyright 2003 CMP Media, LLC