[opendtv] Re: More Questions

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:07:47 -0500

Perhaps padding is not the right term, but blanking is misleading as well.

The conventional approach with early digital interfaces was to
digitize the blanking intervals as well, so as to capture the rise
times at the transitions from active picture to blanking. As with
analog formats, the timing of these blanking  intervals is equally
important to the timing for the active pictures for synchronous
operations.

 From the info below that Ron posted, it is quite clear that the
number of "blanking" samples represents only the time until the next
active line info is delivered - this is critical when the 292M link
is used for synchronous (real-time) operation. But those blanking
samples do not contain any blanking information, but rather just null
values or padding until the next active line come along. The 292M
link can also be used without "blanking" to move more active image
samples through the link for asynchronous transfers such as file
downloads.

Blanking in digital formats is typically generated after the image is
reconstructed so that the samples can be delivered to the display
synchronously. There is little value in storing the bits in the
blanking intervals - all you need is a start of line and end of line
flag, which is what 292M uses.