[opendtv] Re: More Questions

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:53:54 -0500

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>I have some other questions, if you, or anyone else, is willing.
>
>SMPTE 292M is an HD-SDI format that will transport 1.5Gbps.  Is this
>resolution dependant, or just a transport for formats such as SMPTE 296M
>and SMPTE 274M?
>
>If I do my math right, 1920x1080x3colorsx10 bitsx30P is more than 1.5Gbps,
>even without overhead.  There must be something I have wrong; perhaps there
>are only 8 bits per sample or is compression involved?  If I remember
>right, that is a format on the ATSC table.

1920 is the number of active pixels per line; 2200 is the total number.
1080 is the number of active lines per frame; 1125 is the total number.
In 4:2:2 video, the luma is sampled at full bandwidth and the two
color-difference signals are each sampled at half bandwidth.

So 2200 x 1125 x 30 x 10 x 2 (for 4:2:2) = 1.485 Gbps

720p fits, too.

>I really would like to purchase the CD-ROM from SMPTE with the standards
>but the administration bucks me for every dollar.  Do you know of any good
>free sources (websites or such) that have in depth details?

A library with SMPTE Journals.  All SMPTE standards are first published
in the Journal.

>I notice AES3 specifies balanced 110 ohm connections.  What is the
>designation for the 75 ohm unbalanced version?

AES-3id-1995

> <>Will AES have a format that will provide 8 channels in the near
> future?  It
> seems like if you can build an infrastructure that will do 1.5Gbs, why not
> multiplex all those surround sound channels into one bit stream. It would
> make sense to me to use one cable for one source, no matter how many
> channels the source had. As it looks now, I need four cables for one
> source since most of the recording devices have 8 channels.

Have a look at Dolby E.

TTFN,
Mark