[opendtv] Re: MobileMedia's Unusual Patent Infringement Campaign

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 14:52:49 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> All intellectual property law should be subject to review based upon
> cost/benefit to society as a whole.   If it's not worth it, repeal it.

I don't know about that, but I do think something needs to change. My problem
is more generically with all schemes that seek to create infinite revenue
streams for someone or some group.

There's nothing wrong with compensating people or companies for their work,
obviously, but there's a lot wrong with twisting that need for fair
compensation into some ludicrous perpetual suction device.

It's the same problem we have with tort law. At some point, and I'm not sure
who would do this, one has to say "these folks have made enough income from the
work they did originally." Similarly in tort law, "to the extent physically
possible, this party has been compensated for damages; anything more would just
go to making him rich at someone else's expense, for no survices rendered, so
enough."