[opendtv] Re: News: Is Apple Planning A Move Against Ogg Theora?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:12:46 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> There is great cost and little public benefit in allowing abstract
> patents on mathematical algorithms, business practices, and especially
> software.  We should stop this immediately.

But, but, but.

Algorithms coded in software are very frequently used instead of mechanical
contraptions needed in times past. So I think it's perfectly fair to be able to
patent them, as much as it was fair to patent the previous mechanical trickery.
Think, for example, of all the fancy new automatic gizmos in new cars that are
easily possible because of software, where at one time they would have been
very cumbersome. Say, engine controls.

Once you have accepted this concept, then you have to ask yourself what about
product features now made available via software that weren't possible
previously, with mechanical devices? Any reason why they should be exluded from
being patentable?

Not saying that people should be raking in countless 100s of millions of
dollars for work that required, say, 3 man-years, though.