[opendtv] Re: Mission Accomplished

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:20:27 -0400

Remember when anyone cared?

Except for you Bert!

;-)

IF we drop to 5% using the over the air service it will verify my position that broadcasters are interfering with our ability to use this spectrum for something the public wants...

At 9:34 PM -0400 10/22/08, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

 Soon after the transition we may see somebody exploring
 these numbers. Say a newly elected freshman Democrat out
 to make his or her mark. The number may be too low to
 read IMO. If so the conversation might get interesting

Or, perhaps, history will repeat itself. Remember when 8-VSB would never work?

Remember when ATSC receivers would add $200 to the price of a set?

Remember when ATSC receivers could not be built to a 1watt/8 watt standard?

Remember when ATSC could only work with a 30 ft mast antenna, and indoor antennas would never work?

Remember when 8-VSB was good only in gaussian, or at worst Ricean channels?

Remember when it was ridiculous to design HDTV into ATSC from the start?

I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole lot of other such wisdom imparted on us, from day 1.