[opendtv] Re: Mission Accomplished

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:47:50 -0400

This was being talked about quite a bit back in 2001 when OTA was
maybe 17% of homes or more.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA89647.html

"The logic behind a spectrum-seizure policy goes something like this:
85 percent of TV households presently rely on cable or DBS. As that
number inches toward 90 percent or higher, Congress and the Federal
Communications Commission might decide that the broadcast spectrum is
more valuable in the hands of mobile phone companies willing to pay
billions of dollars for the privilege.

Whether he meant to or not, new FCC Chairman Michael Powell put the
issue on the table at an April press conference, in which he addressed
the implications for TV stations should cable and DBS attain
near-universal penetration.

"If 100 percent of Americans don't get free, over-the-air TV, what are
we protecting?" Powell asked.

I think I was misinterpreting Powell. He meant if NO American is
getting OTA instead of if everyone is not getting OTA. 2 or 3% is
getting close to NO American.

Bob Miller