[opendtv] Re: Mews: TV are viewers unprepared for switch, coupons are running short

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:19 -0700

Since the coupon is a simple electronic card with a number, couldn't they
just renew the number/reactivate the card?

Dan

             Tom Barry
             <trbarry@trbarry.
             Sent by:                  opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             opendtv-bounce@fr                                          cc
             eelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [opendtv] Re: Mews: TV are viewers
             06/17/2008 06:34          unprepared for switch, coupons are
             PM                        running short

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

They also could probably allowed coupon renewal for $2 shipping and
handling if they chose.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Not having enough money for stamps is one thing. The expiration is
> another.
>
> Seems to me that changing the expiration date should be a simple matter
> of the NTIA declaring it changed. I don't think anyone will be struck
> down with a zap from Thor, nor will the coupon vanish in a puff of
> smoke. The expiration date should be no sooner than 2/18/2009, for all
> coupons. Maybe later than that, for stragglers. All it takes is a simple
> announcement from the DOC.
>
> "The GAO report found that about 84 percent of consumers were aware of
> the transition but that many do not know what to do."
>
>>From what I've witnessed, this is indeed the case. Mostly, it's because
> the vast majority of people are natural-born procrastinators who expect
> to be spoon-fed, eventually, even if they do nothing. All the more
> reason for broadcasters (assuming they care) to put just a little more
> info in their PSAs about this transition.
>
> A short series of PSAs, explaining, for example:
>
> Who might need a coupon, and here's how you order a coupon
>
> Here's how you connect the STB to your old set
>
> Here's some pointers on OTA antennas, which could be adjusted for
> different markets. Might be good to show how bad the analog picture can
> be and still expect digital reception. Just so the consumer knows what
> to expect when he first tries digital.
>
> Here is a list of retailers that install outdoor antennas, if you are
> having reception problems
>
> I'll bet 30 seconds per spot would be enough. Carousel style.
>
> Bert

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx

GIF image

GIF image