[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling - a REALITY CHECK

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:38:54 -0400

At 9:03 AM -0400 5/2/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>Craig -
>
>You sort of touched on it but let's also not forget the optimal
>difference between the delivery and display resolutions.
>
>Most effectively you can hide the pixel/raster structure by having
>a higher resolution display even though both the horizontal and
>vertical display rez are maybe each 50% higher than the actual
>images being broadcast.

Display oversampling is GOOD.

I have often used the following explanation of this as it relates to
the differences between computer and TV displays. Computer displays
have traditionally used Non-Nyquist filtered imagery (although modern
graphics kernels in Mac OS-X and Windoze are beginning to use
filtering to make images look more TV-like).

Thus it is fair to say that a computer display is ALSO a TV display
at half the resolution, when filtering is taken into consideration.
The good news is that we can also use non-Nyquist filtering to
present graphic, web content, etc. on modern progressive TV displays
using lithographed technologies to accurately produce a raster of any
given resolution.