[opendtv] Re: Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:28:48 -0500

How right you are, Mark.  You have argued persuasively in the past that in
places like Salt Lake City, where the entire state of Utah is one "market,"
there are no "multichannel video programming distributor[s]" that carry ALL
of the stations in the market, thus until enough DTV receivers are sold,
they will never reach the 85% criteria.

Apparently the FCC was reading your columns, and those of the Masked
Engineer, because in the latest review of the Digital Transition, the FCC
sought comments regarding the definition of a "market:"

<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-8A1.pdf>
"For purposes of applying Section 309(j)(14)(B), we invite comment on how we
should define "television market.""

However, in the subsequent report that came out, nothing was mentioned about
the definition of a market for the purposes of applying the BBA section 309.
Presumably they are still mulling things over.

John Shutt