[opendtv] Re: Marketing HD

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:58:21 -0500

Craig,

At my previous employer, an ABC affiliate, our management decided to use the
SAP channel to run the National Weather Service audio.  How many calls do
you think we fielded every day for the next 6 months?  We ended up with
quite a comprehensive "cheat sheet" of television makes and models and how
to turn off the SAP function.

They still do this practice, fourteen years later, and they still field a
couple of calls a week for "weather" audio in the program.

If the government hands out ATSC receivers, there will also be some sort of
support line set up.  What happens if the STB is DOA out of the box?  What
happens if lightning strikes and zaps the STB?  What happens if the box
suffers some other infant mortality?  Who is responsible for repairs?

I predict that what will ultimately happen, if there is any STB giveaway at
all it will be funded and administered by a consortium of spectrum users
that want the channels freed up.  Just like now where every 2GHz ENG radio
is being replaced by Nextel in a market-by-market basis.  The government
isn't giving away 2 gig radios, Nextel is allowing each station to replace
their gear then reimburse them for the costs.  Ditto with this STB
"giveaway."  Somebody will fund a stack of coupons good for one STB, but
each viewer will have to go out to Best Buy or whoever to exchange the
coupons for boxes.  Then the warranty and customer service problems belong
to the store where the coupon was redeemed.

John Shutt