[opendtv] Re: Linear TV reality check

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:00:49 -0400

On Aug 24, 2015, at 9:06 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Craig has missed the point that you need a 2-way network for this, and that
Internet TV automatically provides that capability.

I did not. I even noted that stations can use the Internet for the back channel
to collect this data and explained how to do it. And I noted that the ATSC is
still working on how to standardized this capability.

You are the one who claimed that the ATSC would require broadcasters to build
Two-way cellular networks as part of the requirements.

The fact that use of linear streams is in steep decline, the fact that the
ATSC 3.0 OTA component is purely one-way broadcast, is why I never placed a
lot of weight on that aspect of ATSC 3.0.

Wishing something away won't make it happen. Many broadcasters disagree that
they should shut down. Their linear services will continue after the spectrum
auction, with or without ATSC 3.0.

Perhaps now you see why I deleted a lot of verbiage? Everyone knows this,
Craig. Where did you see me pushing to retain one-way-only broadcast for TV?
If you did not see me doing so, then what motivates you to rehash the
obvious? (I trust you can infer some level of frustration on my part, yes?)
Now Bert is trying to create Geico commercials. But he is not a good creative
copywriter...