[opendtv] Re: Linear TV reality check

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 01:06:21 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I was hoping that this thread might lead to a more enlightened
discussion. It was filled with stuff that Bert and I agree about.
But Bert just deleted all of that stuff.

You can be certain of one thing, Craig. Stuff I delete is not "enlightened." It
is, instead, gratuitous rehashing of history that everyone knows. I'll delete
again those repetitions of history, and points you've made incessantly. So
let's move on.

Bert failed to see the forrest for the trees when we discussed
the ATSC 3.0 requirements. Broadcasters have relied on statically
sampling to measure audiences and sell ads. A key requirement of
ATSC 3.0 is to be able to know who is watching.

Craig has missed the point that you need a 2-way network for this, and that
Internet TV automatically provides that capability. The fact that use of linear
streams is in steep decline, the fact that the ATSC 3.0 OTA component is purely
one-way broadcast, is why I never placed a lot of weight on that aspect of ATSC
3.0.

Craig should certainly revisit that old thread. I was not the one supporting
ATSC 3.0 broadcast, as much as I enjoy reading test results of robust
transmission schemes.

Pushing viewers to the Internet provides highly accurate audience
measurement

And this is profound?

When you know who is watching, you have the ability to use this
information ...

Perhaps now you see why I deleted a lot of verbiage? Everyone knows this,
Craig. Where did you see me pushing to retain one-way-only broadcast for TV? If
you did not see me doing so, then what motivates you to rehash the obvious? (I
trust you can infer some level of frustration on my part, yes?)