[opendtv] Re: Leahy, Matsui Introduce Bill to Ban Paid Prioritization | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 23:10:40 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/leahy-matsui-introduce-bill-ban-paid-prioritization/131826

My first reaction was, this is silly, thinking about all the VPNs out there.
Some of that was explained away, but not all.

Excerpting,

-------------------
The bill would prevent an ISP from "giving preferential treatment or priority
to the traffic of an edge (or content) provider over the traffic of other edge
providers for a fee." The bill deals with the last mile, rather than the middle
mile paid interconnection (peering) agreements that are being scrutinized by
the FCC.

The bill "would require the FCC to adopt regulations that prohibit paid
prioritization agreements between an ISP and an edge provider on the last mile
Internet connection to the end user."
-------------------

I guess it all depends how we define "provider." If this means "source of
content to be used by the public," then that should work. I guess though that
the "middle mile," whatever that means, is also going to matter a lot. So we
have to see what the FCC comes up with.

-------------------
It also prohibits an ISP from prioritizing or giving preference "to the traffic
of content, applications, services, or devices provided or operated by the
broadband provider itself, or are otherwise affiliated with the broadband
provider." The end users whose traffic can't be prioritized includes
residential customers, small businesses, schools, libraries, community
colleges, and universities.
-------------------

Wow. So, an ISP/MVPD that moves to all-IP even for their MVPD tiers won't be
able to prioritize either. That's pretty significant, because it says that they
won't be able to assign dedicated DOCSIS channels for their walled garden TV
service. There's one disincentive to move away from MPEG-2 TS broadcast, eh?

Not sure about the universities etc., although all of this applies only to the
"last mile," so far anyway. Until the FCC figures out how to handle the network
core of these ISPs.

Very interesting. So, what would this do about the existing deals, say between
Netflix and Comcast? The article does say that the politicians are busy with
re-elections, so maybe nothing will change. Unless we the people keep screaming.