[opendtv] Interactive DTT in Sardegna starts today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:35:28 -0500

It looks like they are continuing the push to shut off analog TV in
Sardegna, one of the two regions of Italy that should be "all digital"
before the others, by March 2008.

http://www.dgtvi.it/stat/News_e_Eventi/Notizie_DTT/DTT__partono_in_Sarde
gna_primi_servizi_interattivi.html

Yesterday they posted

http://www.dgtvi.it/stat/News_e_Eventi/Notizie_DTT/Sardegna_Digitale.htm

which claims that 66 percent of households already have DTT reception on
the island, and 4 out of 5 households are "capable" of receiving it
today.

But the interesting part is that today they start interactive DTT
service in Sardegna. They have set up a web site that explains what this
iDTV actually consists of.

http://www.sardegnadigitale.com/index.htm

From what is described, for each "county" of Sardegna they assign a UHF
channel called "RAI Utile." The entire bandwidth of this DTT channel is
dedicated to what I think amounts to a big EPG (technically speaking,
not functionally).

You use the remote control to surf the menus. I am assuming the content
is downloaded to local storage in the interactive STB, as soon as you
tune into the channel and push the appropriate button on the remote.
Given that they're using 16-QAM and 2/3 FEC for now, I'm assuming
perhaps 14 to 15 Mb/s download speed. This shouldn't require any phone
line connected to the STB, and in fact none is mentioned. It says it
takes a few seconds before you can start surfing.

The interactive service provides up-to-date news and info on the region,
such as culture, leisure, transportation and tourism, health services,
environment, etc.

So, for example, I went to "emergencies." The "site" provides
information you might need in emergencies, as well as any current
emergency situation. You can't declare an emergency with this
interactive service, but they will give you phone numbers to call.

They also provide movie schedules in the "leisure" menu.

Not bad. It could replace some of what we use the web for.