[opendtv] Re: How to bankrupt cable companies

  • From: "John A. Limpert" <jlimpert@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:37:01 -0400

on 6/14/04 11:40, John Golitsis at john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Isn't it odd that when there's a problems with cable TV reception, we call the
> cable company and they are responsible for fixing it.  They'll even come into
> our homes, replace cables and connectors, run new lines, whatever it takes.
>
> But when there are problems with satellite TV reception, we readily
> acknowledge
> that it is our responsibility to fix.

> (FCC Rules)
>
> 76.613  Interference from a cable television system.
>
>    (a)  Harmful interference is any emission, radiation
>         or induction which endangers the functioning of
>         a radionavigation service or of other safety
>         services or seriously degrades, obstructs or
>         repeatedly interrupts a radio communication service
>         operating in accordance with this chapter.
>
>    (b)  The operator of a cable television system that
>         causes harmful interference shall promptly take
>         appropriate measures to eliminate the harmful
>         interference.

Unlike the telephone company, the cable operator is responsible for the
wiring inside your house. They may not have installed it, but they are the
ones who are legally responsible for preventing or correcting any harmful
interference from their system. If you have poor reception due to damaged or
defective wiring, it is in the cable operator¹s interest to fix the problem.
Not only do they make the subscriber happy, they also avoid possible system
leakage from the wiring on the customer¹s premises.