[opendtv] Re: How Google or Apple Could Make Web TV a Reality: Spend Billions on the NFL

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:13:27 +0000

http://allthingsd.com/20130719/how-google-or-apple-could-make-web-tv-a-reality-spend-billions-on-the-nfl/?reflink=ATD_mktw_quotes

Looks to me like Peter Kafka gets it. Funny how he didn't need to mention Apple
or Sony or Samsung as being prerequisite companies for the job.

Quoting from the piece:

"I ran this theory by Craig Moffett, the level-headed telco/TV analyst, and he
wasn't excited about it. He figures the league wants to keep Sunday Ticket as a
niche offering, because individual teams want to lock down their local
audiences.

"And if lots of people in, say, Detroit had the ability to watch every game in
the league, every week, instead of being stuck with a Lions-heavy diet, it
could be hard to keep them on the farm."

It's highly doubtful to me that the NFL or any NFL team would balk at whatever
scheme you can offer that would make them more money. Why would it matter to
the Lions if your scheme makes them more money using a geo-location exclusive
zone, as DBS does today perhaps, or if your scheme makes them more many by
giving the team a worldwide audience?

Either way, a web site can accommodate this as well as, or much better than,
any one DBS provider can.