[opendtv] Re: How Google or Apple Could Make Web TV a Reality: Spend Billions on the NFL

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:51:29 -0400

On Jul 19, 2013, at 2:13 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://allthingsd.com/20130719/how-google-or-apple-could-make-web-tv-a-reality-spend-billions-on-the-nfl/?reflink=ATD_mktw_quotes
>
> Looks to me like Peter Kafka gets it. Funny how he didn't need to mention
> Apple or Sony or Samsung as being prerequisite companies for the job.

Uhhhhh Bert.

DId you notice the Subject of this thread, and title of the article?

How Google or Apple Could Make Web TV a Reality: Spend Billions on the NFL

Or the first lineā€¦

Dear Tim, Larry, Steve and Jeff,

And why would he suggest Sony or Samsung - Sony is bleeding badly because of
its involvement with Hollywood and the TV industry. Samsung has the cash, but
no clue how to put a viable ecosystem together.

> It's highly doubtful to me that the NFL or any NFL team would balk at
> whatever scheme you can offer that would make them more money. Why would it
> matter to the Lions if your scheme makes them more money using a geo-location
> exclusive zone, as DBS does today perhaps, or if your scheme makes them more
> many by giving the team a worldwide audience?

The whole point of NFL Sunday Ticket is to watch out of market games - but this
service is also protected if there is a local blackout. Obviously the
technology exists to move it to the web, and I doubt that this would be very
disruptive if the service operates as it does now and costs more than $200 per
season.