[opendtv] Re: House Commerce Committee Probes DTV Transition

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:32:19 -0800

Bert wrote:
> To me, the plan for the DTV transmitter to go back to
> VHF, at power levels that are 13 to 18 dB below that of the analog
> transmitter, is a *far* more likely way to lose coverage area,
> compared with staying UHF and going up to 1 MW ERP.

I do agree in principle.
However, the cost of building a full power UHF DTV facility is prohibitive
for many medium and small market analog VHF stations. The cost of the
replacement UHF 1000Kw* capable transmitter together with the UHF antenna
and transmission line package and a tower upgrade or replacement, are in the
million(s) dollar range. Add to that the likely need for a new or upgrade
transmitter building plus significantly upgraded electrical utilities and a
new backup generator system together with the huge increase in operating
costs (utilities and systems maintenance) and a loss of coverage is often
the only viable business option.

* = Equivalent to a 5000Kw capable analog transmitter