[opendtv] Re: HTML 5 Codecs and Browser Compatibility

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:08:54 -0700

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:51 AM,  <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> True, irrelevant if people don't use the browser to decode the video.  But
> that was kind of my point.  Craig said that HTML 5 would change things, and
> perhaps to a degree, but I don't see Flash really going away just because of
> HTML 5.  So I guess the strategy would be Flash (MP4) plus MP4+H.264+AAC for
> the Apple devices?

No, as I said the strategy would be MP4+H264+AAC and use javascript
rollover that either renders a flash object for decode, or html5 code
for browsers capable of decoding the mp4, or a posterframe for
incompatible browsers. Standard approach.

Of course you will want to deliver the mp4 via a server capable of
rendering both segmented streaming as well as http dynamic or rtsp on
the fly, such as wowza, erlyvideo, fluendo, etc.

Cheers
Kon