[opendtv] Re: HDMI from STBs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:44:01 -0500

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> I haven't seen the PERFECT VISION article, but rather
> than simply throwing darts at OTA STB's, based on many,
> many posts on avsforum and elsewhere, it is more
> accurate to say that products from particular
> manufacturers have had a LOT more HDMI incompatibility
> problems than others. This includes, but is certainly
> not limited to, Samsung HDTVs and Scientific Atlanta
> CATV STBs.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

You're right. It was in the letter to the editor that
this comment about HDMI incompatibility was made, without
specifying just OTA STBs.

They also mentioned Scientific Atlanta STB FireWire
interfaces not correctly supporting the recording
protocol, so that the box will not tune in to specific
channels at the appointed time.

From your other comments, I would say that none of
these digital interfaces are "ready for prime time," as
it were.

The current TPV issue is reporting the April 2009 date
for analog cutoff still, evidently because they went
to press before the 18 February 2009 compromise was made
(which may or may not be meaningful).