[opendtv] Re: HDMI from STBs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:26:32 -0500

Donald Koeleman wrote:

> Bert, what is that magical black projection screen
> article about, that's listed in the tvp contents on
> their website?

I'll have to check tonight, Donald. I figured just a
gimmick. If that article was in the previous issue,
though, I ignored it and tossed it out. I'm hoping
it's in the December issue.

> BTW, you realize that's analog shutt-off dates have
> been set providing for a lengthy transition and have
> been slipping ever since. Here in Holland there was
> talk off shutting off the terrestrial analog
> broadcasts this year, however parliament intervened
> at the last minute as there still is no alternative,
> the DVB-T service being an unreliable, low quality
> pay-tv service, that only covers part of the country.
> Such extensions have been quite common, and only in
> the past year the first real switch-offs started to
> take place seven years after the first official DVB-T
> broadcasts launched.

I didn't know DVB-T in Nederland was pay tv? Is it all
pay TV, or just some pay subchannels?

That aside, it looks like the same experience in many
places, then. Thanks for the reality check. I'm trying
to get my brother to buy an STB and give me his
assessment in Rome.

As I said yesterday, I'm receiving 13 multiplexes now,
but I should be receiving at least 4 more: two more PBS
stations and two UPN stations. I expect things would
improve if analog were off the air, if for no other
reason than we wouldn't have lower powered ATSC stations
adjacent to high powered NTSC stations, as we have now.
Still, that's a lot of multiplexes available here
compared with anywhere else I know of. So there's lots
of *potential* for DTT here.