[opendtv] Re: HD Radio from Radio Shack

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:38:35 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> To me $200 is also a bit rich for a table top radio, HD or not.
> But I guess that's just a matter of preference since I don't
> use radio much and would use broadband if I did.

Guys, let's compare real world prices here.

DAB radios, the cheapest ones, small portables, seem to go for about
$130 or so. And hifi tuners, just the analog AM/FM variety to connect to
a preamp or integrated amp, have traditionally gone for between the high
$100s to up in the $300 range, or more. This goes back decades.

It seems to me that a stereo AM/FM tuner, whether digital or analog, is
considerably simpler than an SDTV or HDTV STB, no matter how you slice
it. The AM/FM tuner is functionally identical to the DTT STB, in that
all it does is the reception function.

I think it's just two different markets. Decent audio equipment is aimed
at enthusiasts, whereas TVs, including HDTV, are aimed at the masses. If
you think about it, it's been so for a very long time. Even color TVs
back 35-40 years ago were a heck of a bargain, compared to any other
electronic products that incorporated the same sophistication.

People expect SDTV STBs to go for no more than many of the *slightly*
fancier analog clock radios. Tell me it ain't so.