[opendtv] Re: HD News Transition Extends Into Smaller Markets

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 08:10:44 -0400

Here is a less negative spin than the one we saw a couple of days ago, on the status of HDTV investment by local broadcasters. An important statistic is that 44 percent of stations that produce local newscasts produce these newscasts in HD.

This compares with the supposed 17 percent that transmit HD ads.

I don't know why a station that can produce and transmit its own HD newscasts can't insert HD ads, but then again, I wouldn't be expected to know.

And by the way, this is what I was predicting way back in the mid 1990s. TV stations will convert to HD, not because there is a pot of gold waiting for those who do, but because that will be the only way to retain your viewership, long term. Just like people won't listen on purpose to low-fi music on AM, when they have alternatives that transmit much higher quality signals.

Bert

"Our research indicates that 44-percent of U.S. broadcasters producing local newscasts-roughly 313 of 700 stations-converted their operations to true HD from studio lens to transmitter," said Piccioni. "Most of these conversions occurred between 2006 and 2009. There were 71 in 2010 and 17 so far in 2011."

Hmmmm.

1749 full power DTV stations in the U.S.

313 offer HD newscasts

313/1749 = .179

Sounds about right.

P.S. Do you really think that upgrading newscasts to HD is going to bring the viewers back?
And who is Scott Pelly anyway?