[opendtv] HD News Transition Extends Into Smaller Markets

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 15:34:27 -0500

Here is a less negative spin than the one we saw a couple of days ago, on the
status of HDTV investment by local broadcasters. An important statistic is that
44 percent of stations that produce local newscasts produce these newscasts in
HD.

This compares with the supposed 17 percent that transmit HD ads.

I don't know why a station that can produce and transmit its own HD newscasts
can't insert HD ads, but then again, I wouldn't be expected to know.

And by the way, this is what I was predicting way back in the mid 1990s. TV
stations will convert to HD, not because there is a pot of gold waiting for
those who do, but because that will be the only way to retain your viewership,
long term. Just like people won't listen on purpose to low-fi music on AM, when
they have alternatives that transmit much higher quality signals.

Bert

------------------------------
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/120088

HD News Transition Extends Into Smaller Markets
by Claudia Kienzle, 05.03.2011

HAMILTON, N.J.-While major market TV stations were among the first to convert
their local news operations to HD, the wave is now reaching into mid- and
small-sized TV markets. Mid-market station managers tell us that meeting viewer
demand for local HDTV news and weather was a key motivator, moreso than
competitive pressure from other stations in their markets.

Stations that recently converted their local news to HD also saw it as an
opportunity to upgrade their infrastructure to a file-based workflow for
greater productivity benefits.

TRACKING HD

At BMO Capital Markets, in Toronto, Ont., Technology Analyst Brian Piccioni
tracks HD local news conversions by U.S. stations as an indicator of how key
technology stocks, like Miranda and Evertz, are likely to perform. BMO
publishes its findings in its "Local HD Transition Update" newsletter.

"Our research indicates that 44-percent of U.S. broadcasters producing local
newscasts-roughly 313 of 700 stations-converted their operations to true HD
from studio lens to transmitter," said Piccioni. "Most of these conversions
occurred between 2006 and 2009. There were 71 in 2010 and 17 so far in 2011."

As the broadcast industry emerges from a prolonged recessionary slump, Piccioni
said, "Many mid-sized stations are finally willing to spend money on HD local
news conversion rather than risk losing viewers and advertisers, or their
competitive standings in the market."

MEETING VIEWER DEMANDS

KTBS-TV, the ABC affiliate in Shreveport, La., was the first station in its
market to offer full high-definition local news. After four years of planning,
KTBS switched its local news to HD on Oct. 14, 2010 along with sister station,
CW affiliate KPXJ-TV.

"There's no question that making this move has made our stations more
competitive," said George Sirven, station manager for KTBS/KPXJ. "As the public
increasingly buys HDTV sets, offering an HD product is no longer an option.
With this investment, we're able to deliver what our viewers demand. This was
also an opportunity to upgrade our infrastructure to a file-based, server-based
workflow, increasing our production values with minimal resources."

Besides producing 7.5 hours of local news daily for KTBS and KPXJ, KTBS also
produces "Mega 3 Doppler Radar" on 3.2 and 24-hour news on 3.3. A WSI-HD
weather system provides hi-res weather graphics. The new HD news and talk sets,
designed by Condit, Denver, Colo., feature two video walls powered by the
Spyder System by Vista.

The control room includes a Grass Valley Ignite HD automated production system
with Grass Valley MediaFUSE for repurposing and multi-distribution of content;
the newsroom is based on an Avid workflow, including ISIS server; and HD field
and studio cameras are Sony. Sirven said, "Our new HD workflow is helping us
realize higher productivity in our local news gathering and production."

INVESTING IN HD NEWS

In January 2011, KBAK-TV, the CBS affiliate in Bakersfield, Calif., became the
first station in its market to launch local news in HD. KBAK also operates
KBFX-CA as a duopoly and so this Fox affiliate also upgraded to HDTV at that
time. The stations share the same local news team and studio, which produces
7.5 hours of local news programming between the two stations.

According to Teresa Burgess, vice president and general manager for KBAK/KBFX,
planning for their HD local news transition began in 2008, not long after
Fisher Communications in Seattle acquired both stations.

"Upgrading our local news to HD has boosted our standing in the market as one
of the top news leaders, and viewer response has been overwhelmingly positive,"
said Burgess. "Many critical elements contributed to our successful HD local
news launch, including significant capital investment by Fisher Communications,
as well as support by many key vendors."

They replaced their open news set with a brand new news set designed and built
by FX Group in Ocoee, Fla. The design challenge was they could not use call
letters or channel identification on the news set. FX Group collaborated with
Giant Octopus in Clearwater, Fla., a broadcast design company that developed
the HD graphics package, resulting in a rich, unified channel branding look for
the HD local news. The studio upgrade included nonlinear editing workstations
and an HD automated production system (Ignite) from Grass Valley; upgraded HD
news play-out from Bitcentral; and Panasonic P2 HD camcorders for HD field
acquisition. The final piece, HD play-out, is planned for later this year.

SUPERIOR PICTURE QUALITY

At WSYR-TV9, the ABC affiliate serving Syracuse, N.Y. launched its local news
broadcasts in HD on Jan. 29, 2011, making it the second station in upstate New
York to do so. The station upgraded its aging SD studio cameras to four JVC
GY-HD250Us HD cameras, with JVC RM-LP25U ProHD local remote units, and chose
JVC GY-HM700 HD camcorders for field acquisition.

According to Craig Riker, chief engineer for WSYR, their videographers "are
coming back with better looking video than we've ever had. We've got the best
looking field video on air in the market." WSYR-TV also upgraded its control
room, news sets, and studio lighting system, as well as added a file-based 720p
HD workflow.

HD FORECAST

WIS-TV10, the NBC affiliate in Columbia, S.C., launched its HD local news on
Nov. 4, 2010. As the news leader in its market, WIS-TV, a Raycom Media station,
felt compelled to offer viewers a high-quality local newscast in HD.

According to Brad Neuhoff, news director for WIS, "Since most viewers watch
local TV news for weather, we also created a First Alert Weather Center, with
advanced, graphical HD tools for telling the weather story in a concise, visual
way. Our goal is to win weather everyday."

The station upgraded its Weather Central system to HD, and weather graphics are
displayed a 60-inch HD monitor called "the Bam." WIS meteorologists can also
present weather from the First Alert Weather Center, with a multi-monitor
backdrop. "We want to tell a compelling weather story, and our HD weather
capabilities give us many different ways to do that," said Neuhoff. "The HD
weather is also repurposed for our online and mobile services."

"Going hi-def also means paying more attention to the framing and aesthetics of
each shot because viewers can now see everything in great detail," said
Neuhoff. "While this HD transformation did impact production, being able to
present high-quality HD newscasts is vital to remaining number one in this
market."