[opendtv] Re: Fwd: Expo 2005 (Sony GLV)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:46:56 -0400

At 9:33 AM +0200 7/12/05, Jeroen Stessen wrote:
>Hello,
>
>A friend, and a former heavy user of OpenDTV, has sent the attached
>message to Bill Hogan and me, and has given permission to forward
>it to the list, but anonymously. So here it is. I suppose that he
>no longer wishes to be associated with our club of old gossipers...
>
>;-)
>
>The links contain some mighty interesting facts !
>
>And Craig is gonna love the 5:1 aspect ratio.  (50 x 10 meters !)

Hmmmm...

Migh be useful if it were wrapped around the inside of a cylinder
like some of those 360 degree  surround presentations at Disney World.

But 5:1 is WAY too wide to map to the human visual field. There's a
reason that iMax has moved to screens with a 1:1 aspect ratio. You
need to fill the entire visual field to get total realism, not a
narrow horizontal stripe across the middle of the viewing field.

This is reminiscent of some of the shows I put together while working
for GVG. In 1982 I did a four monitor show where stuff moved across
four monitors (not seamless). Then in 1984 we did the show with two
Eiodophos seamed together.