[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:35:45 -0500

On 12/4/2010 6:43 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
Here is an interesting contrast between two groups of broadcasters.

The radio broadcasters went digital a few years ago, although the old
analog receivers still work. But they are spending big bucks promoting
Digital Radio services. I hear multiple ads every day promoting digital
radio receivers and the content that you can get with these new radios.
I don't know what the sales and use levels are for these devices, but
the radio broadcasters are definitely educating their listeners.

The digital radio services on AM severely damage the capability of DX [long distance] reception of stations broadcasting within 20 or 30 KHZ of the local digital broadcaster.

I used to be able to receive 'nation stations' from New Orleans, Cincinnati, Ft.Wayne, Nashville, Charlotte, New York, etc., all now being interfered with by the local digitals in my neighborhood.

I think one of the major reasons digital radio came about is because
broadcasters realized they can now 'prevent' listeners from receiving programs from outside the local DMA. This is so they can claim larger listenership ratings and thereby charge more for commercials.

In contrast, when did anyone on this list last see a promotional
announcement from a TV station about DTV? The radio guys promote the
fact that there are no subscription fees; the TV guys say nothing about
the high cost of cable and DBS. At best we may see promos for content
that is on sub channels.

Indeed, the local Philly DTV stations promote only the cable versions of their various programs airing cable channel numbers for them fairly often.

The radio guys are working with the CE guys and
spending money to sell receivers. The TV guys could work with the CE
guys to do the same, perhaps adding a graphic or tag line to adds for
new flat screen TVs that say - "Add an antenna and this TV can access
the FREE TV channels available in your area."

You will never see this sort of promotion on the FREE OTA DTV channels as long as the cable companies threaten to pull their commercials from the local DTV stations if they do promote their OTA signals.

Then again we all know why at least the network affiliated TV
broadcasters are NOT promoting the free option. The near term reality of
a buck a month per subscriber...

It's all about the money. Always.

Cliff