[opendtv] Re: Freeview business model

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:50:22 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Nothing akin to this system exists in the U.S. and
> suggesting that broadcasters construct one from scratch
> at this late date, though a noble idea, seems is a bit
> Quixotic.

Although even with the US approach to OTA broadcasting, there are plenty
of examples of broadcasters sharing a tower. And I still think that it's
not completely unreasonable to expect OTA broadcasters to pay attention
to each other's program offerings, and try to create an attractive OTA
network.

But let's not make this business model question unique to broadcasting.
It's not. One could ask, for example, whether Craig expects to pay BE
magazine to distribute his articles, or the other way around. In
principle, he could be made to pay them. I don't know for sure, but I
doubt that's how it's set up right now.