[opendtv] Re: Freeview business model

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:08:16 -0800

Thanks for the update Dermot.  It’s been a few years since I lived there and
near the end I do recall adjusting my relatives TV sets to pickup the newly
established fifth program channel – added maybe twenty years ago? More
recently I’ve observed the U.K. OTA DTV system in operation and have found it
to be very robust, even at it’s current low power.

My point in our discussions related to possibly establishing such a
distribution system in the U.S. was: Freeview exists on a previously
constructed nationwide distribution system, much of it originally developed
with public funds and which, even today, is partially supported by public funds
on the the BBC portions. (Is this close to the current reality?)

Nothing akin to this system exists in the U.S. and suggesting that broadcasters
construct one from scratch at this late date, though a noble idea, seems is a
bit Quixotic.