[opendtv] Fox.com

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 15:33:39 -0400

So one of the few network shows I have watched in recent years, is 24 on Fox.

I wanted to watch the new series that started Monday night, but forgot to
program my DVR and missed the first half hour before I remembered to record the
rest.

So I figured I would watch the first half hour via Fox.com before catching up
with the rest on the DVR. I tried to do this on my iPad first, but got the
"this device is not supported" message. Silly me; I forgot they still use the
Flash video codec.

So I moved to my desktop Mac and had "better" success. I say better, because
the quality was worse than anything I see with h.264 on Netflix. Dropped
frames, re buffering, stuttering... And this was at 8:30 am, not exactly peak
demand time.

But the worst part was when I got through the first half hour I tried to quit
during the next commercial break. IT WOULD NOT LET ME DO ANYTHING WHILE THE
COMMERCIAL WAS RUNNING. I had to close the browser to stop it.

Brilliant!