[opendtv] Re: Fox.com

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 08:35:01 -0400

On May 8, 2014, at 10:17 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Right. That's Apple doing the blocking of available content.

Cut the crap Bert. It's Apple, Google (and all Android devices), Amazon, and
the rest of the mobile device industry that CHOSE NOT to support Flash for
valid reasons. Fox has the ability to offer h.264 streams, as MOST other OTT
portals do today.

> I don't watch much fox.com these days, because cbs.com offers more stuff than
> I can keep up with. So I don't know right now whether fox.com gives me
> problems at home. You should try the other networks, to see if this is a
> fox.com problem.

I have had no similar problems with ABC, Watch ESPN, or Netflix. The limited
amount of stuff I have watched from the CBS app has had no problems.

> Also, ABC's plug-in seems to like to download all of the next segment's
> content during the commercial break. So I get more of these buffering delays
> while watching the COMMERCIALS, during ABC shows, but never while watching
> the actual show.
>
> Then again, I have a fairly slow broadband. Yours is much faster. So I don't
> see how that could be the problem.

Yup. When I had DSL I experienced problems with most services, although some
just reduced resolution to improve playback at the lower data rates. Fox is the
first service I have experienced these problems with since I upgraded.

>> But the worst part was when I got through the first half hour I tried
>> to quit during the next commercial break. IT WOULD NOT LET ME DO
>> ANYTHING WHILE THE COMMERCIAL WAS RUNNING. I had to close the browser
>> to stop it.
>
> Although you can't FF through the commercial, I'm perfectly capable of simply
> navigating to another site, while the commercial is running. Or even
> navigating back to the main site by pushing the back button. You shouldn't
> have to shut down the whole browser.

Sorry if I was unclear. The browser window with the Fox stream would not let me
do anything; I could not navigate, minimize the player size, or return to the
Fox portal. As I was done, I just closed that window to "quit."