[opendtv] Re: Flat TV antenna steals the show

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:00:15 -0500

Peter Wilson wrote:

> Reminds me of the UK BSB Squarial satellite dish that didn't work
> properly either. http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=14489

First, I hear on the BBC that Bush House is being closed down. Amazing. With
all that history, it almost seems like this should not have been allowed!

As to flat antennas, I am using two Antenna Direct, flat, quad stacked diploes.
They are arranged 90 degrees apart, to receive all of the local stations in the
Wash DC market. Each provides 13.7 dB of gain in UHF (the newer one is 14.5 dB
gain). And these guys also make a single flat array, with the two quad stacks
side by side, which provides 15.8 dB of gain.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB4e-Digital-HDTV-Antenna-Bundle.html

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB8-Multidirectional-HDTV-Antenna-Bundle.html

So it does not seem unreasonable that these same designs could be "drawn" on
some sort of surface, to create similar performance from a very thin antenna.
In my case, I'm able to receive the three TV stations from Baltimore that have
remained full power UHF, from downstairs, indoors, antenna close to the floor,
46.6 miles to the Balt transmitter towers as the crow flies. And if you note,
those gain figures are respectable even for anything but the best yagis.

And even more, I've occasionally also gotten a glimpse of Baltimore 26 KW VHF
channel 11.