[opendtv] Re: FCC DTV Coverage data

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:26:02 -0800

Bert wrote:
> But what is heartening is that at least they actually list all the
stations I can receive, whereas AntennaWeb does not.<

I like it too but unfortunately the FCC's site and AntennaWeb are acceptably
accurate only when one lives on relatively flat terrain. Both services
utilize low-resolution terrain data and therefore their predictions can be
problematic for folks residing in hilly terrain (which the FCC addresses
their remarks).

As you found, and I also experienced, the FCC site is more accurate in
finding all possible stations but both system fail to detect intervening
terrain that completely blocks signals from those stations that they predict
can be received at a given location.

The TVFool program is significantly more accurate and provides very
descriptive and useful information, including the required terrain clearance
for line of sight to each station.

www.tvfool.com/

www.highdefforum.com/archive/t-63036.html

Dale