[opendtv] Re: EE Times: Smart TV Will Win From TV Market Disruptions

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 00:48:46 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So Bert
>
> Instead of arguing, lets fix it
>
> We agree that people will pay for their broadband ISP service

Much like they pay for telephone and water, sure.

> We agree that people would like to be able to access any content
> from any device, fixed and mobile
>
> So how do we redistribute the hundreds of billions that Americans
> are spending on "entertainment" ?
>
>        their MVPD bill, movies and new Internet services like Netflix?
>
> Is your vision of an "unwalled" OTT marketplace one where everything
> is free...
>
>        with ads
>
> Where tying content to bundles is illegal?
>
> How will it work?

As you like to say, let the market decide. It is deciding. People are flocking
to OTT sites, some free, some for pay. Devices like Chromecast have emerged, to
bypass the cluelessness of devices like Roku. In spite of the unwillingness of
the trade journalists to educate their readership, people are waking up to the
fact that streaming TV content to their handheld devices OR TV sets, is not
difficult. Even if the TV vendors appear inept at this, at least these TV
vendors and PC vendors have made PC hookup to TV really easy (e.g. HDMI or RGB).

The TV networks, HBO, even ESPN, have long known, or are discovering now, that
they can't hide their heads in the sand.

How can it not work? It's working already.