[opendtv] Re: Disney COO Staggs Backs Pay TV Bundle | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:27:53 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

You don't do sarcasm very well. Skipper and Iger have been saying the
same...

They understand that they must adapt, both with respect to technology
and competition.

Craig, do you know what "self-soothing" is? That's what's happening here.
Bundles that work, only because the different congloms collude, are the
province of old-school walled gardens. That's why the congloms say one thing,
while at the same time they're busy conjuring up quite unrelated things.

He added that the bundle shouldn't be viewed as a static product.
"It's going to continue to evolve and we're going to continue to
reinforce the value of that bundle over time.

Those are generic enough words that they can be interpreted to mean anything.
Including "bundles" like Moonves' CBS All Access. Or ESPN on Sling TV. These
aren't the old school bundles that the nervous nellies want to hear about.

Still waiting for the walls to crumble...

Similarly, you're still waiting for HDTV to be for the masses. We understand,
Craig.

Title II had little if anything to do with this, unless you want to
claim the Internet would never have happened without modems...

Craig still doesn't get it?

First, and *not* importantly, modems are often not, and do not need to be,
proprietary.

Secondly, those modems, whether proprietary or standards-based, and the network
upstream of them, have to be content-neutral. I guess you felt obliged to make
some comment, even if specious?