[opendtv] Re: Disney COO Staggs Backs Pay TV Bundle | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 01:46:37 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Sorry Bert, but it has not.

You still cannot get ESPN and the rest of the most popular
networks that have been part of the extended basic bundle without
buying A BUNDLE.

Give it up, Craig. "A bundle" is not "the bundle." We've been over this a
million times. The welfare payments are entirely different from what they used
to be.

You completely ignore the fact that I have been writing about
these changes for more than a year,

Need I go back and quote all the times you insisted "*the* bundle" would never
break up?

You reject the notion that while the rerun channels have become
unnecessary,

I reject nothing. The rerun channels were getting a lot of welfare checks too.
Of course they become unnecessary, if people have access to OTT sites. But once
again, the breakup of your "the bundle" only happened because subscribers cut
or shaved the cord, thanks to unwalled competition they could now access.
Otherwise, these "unnecessary" rerun channels would have still been getting
their welfare checks, whether people wanted them or not. Were the Internet were
NOT mandated to be neutral, the MVPD/ISPs could easily block the OTT sites that
gave them this competition. It's a no-brainer. Either that, or perhaps "If you
want Netflix service, it comes bundled with HBO and ShowTime."

Sorry, Craig, I'm the one that explained to you why your "the bundle" would
break up. And I found pundits who said exactly the same thing. You were
completely dug in, with your "will never happen," and with your "pure
speculation." Now you're trying to rewrite history. Give it up, Craig.

Need I remind you that the content congloms were caught flat footed by
both the VCR and the creation of new cable networks?

That's your hangup, not mine. It makes no difference to me which content owner
is exploiting the monopolistic walled garden nature of the delivery pipe. They
all behave exactly the same way.

What industry is the 800 pound gorilla of the ISP industry today?

Once again, the companies that created the Internet were NOT the cable
companies of the day. Cable companies introduced two-way capability much later.
The Internet wasn't even open to commercial use until 1991, Craig. It had
already been around since the early 1980s, for .edu and .mil use. ISPs in the
early .com era were all accessed via dialup, through telephone lines, and none
of them offered TV channels. Dial-up access wasn't fast enough.

Who was the 800 pound gorilla in the era of telephone modems
Bert?

Not the cable companies. We used a company called Erol's. Others used companies
like AOL and Compuserve, via dial-up, and scores of others. AOL and Compuserve
were actually both walled gardens initially, not true ISPs, and had no TV ties
either. In fact, in the early days of AOL and Compuserve, their customers
couldn't even intercommunicate.

Third, the TV media companies HAVE ALREADY shown their true colors.

Because they had the political clout to take control.

No, Craig. It's simply because technology being what it was, they could.
Political clout had nothing to do with it. The government was not mandating
your "the bundle" formula, nor was the govt mandating an ever growing number of
channels people had to buy whether they wanted to or not. This was simple
business, doing what it always does, given half a chance. The only
self-regulating mechanism for business is competition. It did not exist back
then. It could not.

The Internet is mandated to be neutral, and is a 2-way medium. A whole new
ballgame, although Craig obviously doesn't get it.

Just smoke, no fire. These issues were resolved without the FCC
getting involved.

Yeah right. The issue got resolved because the FCC was finally making it loud
and clear that net neutrality would be mandated, and because the American
public raised a humongous stink. The FCC claims they never got so much mail
about anything, ever, as they did about net neutrality.

I am enamored of real competition and the ability of industries to
work things out

Yeah right, Craig. Tell me when you can buy one of your cable STBs at Best Buy
or other store.

Without Title II, I see no reason why the broadband providers
would NOT revert to what they did so successfully in the past.

Why did they not do this without Title II?

I have also explained this to you, Craig, many many times. Broadband did not
carry any TV channels at first. As soon as it started to, as soon as
competition became obvious, the MVPD/ISPs began doing what anyone would have
expected (except Craig, who likes walled gardens and didn't mind).

Amazing how Craig likes going around in circles.