[opendtv] Diary of a Cord Cutter

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:06:18 -0500

I meant to post this last week when I heard the final installment on NPR, but forgot. After Craig's future of TV remote comment, it reminded me of it again.

David Katzmaier of CNet started a little blog called "Diary of a Cord Cutter" in which he cut the cord at his home, then blogged about his ways to satisfy his programming needs with a combination of OTA, Web, and Netflix.

His experiment lasted about two months.

Here is his last blog entry: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20025595-1.html

And here is the NPR story: http://www.npr.org/2010/12/29/132430647/Cord-Cutting-Could-Help-Bring-Down-Cable-Bill

The takeaway quote from the NPR story: "My wife was not thrilled with all the different interfaces that she had to contend with. I actually left for a business trip and during that time Beth, my wife, was definitely missing the tech support for our massive technology experiment."

I think that Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, and Verizon can breathe easy for a bit longer...

John