[opendtv] Re: Diary of a Cord Cutter

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 17:24:26 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> David Katzmaier of CNet started a little blog called "Diary of a Cord
> Cutter" in which he cut the cord at his home, then blogged about his
> ways to satisfy his programming needs with a combination of OTA, Web,
> and Netflix.
>
> His experiment lasted about two months.

> I think that Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, and Verizon can breathe easy for
> a bit longer...

You're probably right. Witness, for example, the fact that people think they
need to rely on a middleman (other than their ISP) even to see Internet TV.
Almost like saying, "from frying pan to fire."

Instead, I'm rather enjoying Internet TV. For those set up as I am, PC fed to
TV and audio system, sites like ThisTV.com offer a long choice of movies on
demand. I discovered, when ThisTV is watched online, the commercials are even
omitted. You see a short glitch where the commercial used to be.