[opendtv] Re: Deloitte survey summary

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 22:57:25 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/us-tmt-DDS_Executive_Summary_Report_Final_2015-04-20.pdf

PERCENTAGE OF TIME SPENT WATCHING LIVE PROGRAMMING AMONG U.S. CONSUMERS

When taking into account that Trailing Millennials spend more time watching
TV shows on non-traditional devices than on televisions, it's not surprising
that only a quarter of television programming they watch is done live at the
time of broadcast. The percentage of programming watched live increases by
age.

Trailing millennials (age 14-25) 28%
Leading millennials (age 26-31 35%
Generation X (age 32-48) 41%
Baby boomers (age 49-67) 58%
Matures (age 68+) 63%

Nice find Bert. I don't know how accurate the data is, but it
actually addresses what we have been flailing about.

And it agrees with a lot of other stats we have seen.

When they figured out the overall viewing statistics, on average,
53% of TV consumption in the US is now not linear. And the
number is not surprising, considering those figures.

Only you could look a "fact" in the face and get it wrong.

Right next to the demographic breakdown you reported above, is a
graphic that says:

45% total percentage of time watching live programming among U.S.
consumers

The number 45% was overall linear/live TV use. The 55% percent non-linear
viewing is made up of 53% non-linear TV and 56% watching movies (OTT, DVD,
whatever).