[opendtv] Re: Deloitte survey summary

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 10:22:41 -0400

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:59 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Craig jumped the gun. He found the first page which seemed to support his
agenda, but in fact did not, so he happily stopped looking.

I don't have an agenda Bert. I just analyze the. Issues we discuss.

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/us-tmt-DDS_Executive_Summary_Report_Final_2015-04-20.pdf

The date, April 20, 2015, is current enough. The information we want, to
answer the question of how much TV is being consumed linear, is provided on
page 8.

PERCENTAGE OF TIME SPENT WATCHING LIVE PROGRAMMING AMONG U.S. CONSUMERS

When taking into account that Trailing Millennials spend more time watching
TV shows on non-traditional devices than on televisions, it's not surprising
that only a quarter of television programming they watch is done live at the
time of broadcast. The percentage of programming watched live increases by
age.

Trailing millennials (age 14-25) 28%
Leading millennials (age 26-31 35%
Generation X (age 32-48) 41%
Baby boomers (age 49-67) 58%
Matures (age 68+) 63%

Nice find Bert. I don't know how accurate the data is, but it actually
addresses what we have been flailing about.

When they figured out the overall viewing statistics, on average, 53% of TV
consumptrion in the US is now not linear. And the number is not surprising,
considering thos figures.

Only you could look a "fact" in the face and get it wrong.

Right next to the demographic breakdown you reported above, is a graphic that
says:

45% total percentage of time watching live programming among U.S. consumers

Looks like you left 2 percentage points on the table Bert...

;-)

I would only note that this DOES NOT mean that 55% of our time is spent
watching OTT services.

Last night we watched several movies via iTunes on an Apple TV in the condo we
are renting. When the Brighthouse broadband works we get 30 Mbps downstream...
Until it gets lost. So I just tethered the Apple TV to my AT&T cellular
service...

And you thought I did not know how to stream...