[opendtv] Re: DVB-H first in the US

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:40:22 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> What frequencies are used in the united States for PCM,
> TDMA, CDMA, and GSM digital mobile telephony?
>
> My Verizon CDMA phone is equipped to receive 800 for AMPS
> (analog), and 800 or 1900 for CDMA.  I have no way of knowing
> when I'm using 800 and when I'm using 1900 for digital.

True, but the situation is different. These two-way cellular
services rely entirely on very small cells to achieve lots of
frequency reuse. If there is a dip in the road, you will need
to compensate for it by locating a cell tower in the low part
of the terrain. I notice this very effect where we live. I
think John Golitsis has a similar situation. Lousy cell
coverage at home, because of the terrain.

DVB-H, when used in conjunction with DVB-T transmitters, relies
on the coverage achieved by the UHF (or VHF) wavelengths.

When used at cell phone frequencies, as Doug pointed out, it
will be interesting to see what accommodations will need to be
made. Might need a denser SFN. Depending on terrain.