[opendtv] Re: DTV deja vu all over again: A visit via Dr Who's Tardis...

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:53:27 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>After all mobile cellular DTV will be amazing because of
>>how easily it will be received even where your cell phone
>>doesn't work.
>>

>Depends entirely on what you mean by "doesn't work."
>
>Cellular coverage will easily exceed broadcast coverage to handheld
>devices, because (a) there are far more cell towers than broadcast
>towers and (b) cell phones negotiate individually with the strongest
>cell tower to achieve a link, whereas in broadcast you simply hope for
>an adequate signal.

Initially maybe but not as they build out the network. Qualcomm owns
channel 55 so they can blast a signal directionally down an interstate
at 50 kW and reach quite a distance especially if they are using 1000
ft. broadcast towers as you suggest but they can also use cell towers.
There is no need for a back channel so they are not restricted by the
power of the cell phone which limits cell size. I doubt if they need
more than a ratio of one Qualcomm broadcast tower per 50 cell towers to
get the same coverage.

As far as doesn't work a cell phone can have hundreds of spots in a city
like New York on the street where they don't work. Qualcomm can blanket
greater NYC with ubiquitous coverage with 10 moderate sized broadcast
towers or less.

>In principle, you can drive cross country along most US interstates and
>have constant access to your choice of video stream, over 3G cellular.
>Not likely with DVB-H, even if you keep manually changing channels.

I can't drive from Detroit to Chicago without numerous sites where my
cell phone doesn't work. That same stretch can be covered with five
moderate sized broadcast towers and cover a good part of the country on
either side.

>But it's also true that if you request a fast link for your video
>stream, and the cell you're in is all booked up, you won't get that
>link. So that's when the broadcast method might have the advantage, as
>long as there's adequate signal at your location.

Might have an advantage over 3G? Are you kidding?

>>And I think that the FCC has shown openness to new kids
>>on the block like Sirius and XMRadio as accomplishments
>>of the FCC's. And at the expense of free OTA radio BTW.
>>

>That's a difficult position to support, given that the FCC has mandated
>DTT receivers in all TVs and recording devices as of 1 March 2007. Seems
>to me they're fairly even handed.

I don't think that mandating an 8-VSB receiver in all TV sets is a
benefit, more like an unnecessary waste of taxpayers money at the hands
of a government out of control. Especially when they don't even require
any specs on those receivers and at the same time will allow anyone to
use the spectrum with smart radios. The FCC has shown every sign of not
being very interested in OTA free TV/DTV for some time. Chairman Powell
once asked in relation to OTA TV/DTV. "What are we protecting?" That
says it all about the FCC's attitude toward legacy OTA free TV and radio.

Bob Miller