[opendtv] Re: DTV deja vu all over again: A visit via Dr Who's Tardis...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:17:41 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> As far as doesn't work a cell phone can have hundreds of
> spots in a city like New York on the street where they
> don't work. Qualcomm can blanket greater NYC with
> ubiquitous coverage with 10 moderate sized broadcast
> towers or less.

Bob, careful with the facile "explanations." I posted the French TNT
reference which should put the brakes on these wild assumptions about
how easy it is to "blanket" an area with SFN towers. This is another
case of two plus two equals five. Meaning, some technical type gives a
simplistic explanation to a marketer, and the marketer extrapolates
beyond where the concept makes sense.

The one system that "blankets" best is cellular telephony. Which does
not depend on SFNs.

Speaking of wild assumptions, I noted that the Brazilian DTT sites also
hype up this implied "Internet access" offered by DTT. Another common
misconception that marketers in turn impart on politicians. Eventually
the truth comes out. Which is, you can certainly combine Internet access
with DTT, as you can combine Internet access with analog TV, radio,
newpaper ads, and even billboards. By itself, the DTT receiver won't
give you Internet access. And similarly, giving you Internet access does
not mean you also get access to DTT.