[opendtv] Re: DTV TUNER

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:08:27 -0400

Jay Cordova wrote:

> It will be rabbit ears in an apartment in Sterling, VA
> for right now -- but then a house in a few months where
> I'm recommending to my brother a 50 to 60 foot mast with
> rotor and antenna atop. That should be good for the
> DC/Baltimore area, right?

Jay, go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

At that site, you can enter the street address, and it will
tell you which stations in Wash and Balt are within reach,
what their distance and azimuth is from the address you
entered, and what type of antenna will work. The site
lists NTSC and DTV stations.

I would expect that rabbit ears would be adequate for Wash
market stations only. Get a Radio Shack double bowtie,
though, because the Wash stations are not all that close.

You might find that a rotor is not required to reach Wash
and Balt stations from Sterling. And I really think a 60'
mast would be overkill. Baltimore stations are worst case
about 45 miles distant from Sterling, as the crow flies,
so a regular antenna mounted to the chimney, for instance,
should be adequate. Unless you're at the bottom of a pit,
of course.

Radio Shack sells high gain UHF antennas with corner
reflector. Should be just what you need.

If you can wait until this coming holiday season to buy
the ATSC STB, that's what I'd do. Around that time, the
new "5th gen" LG units, and probably others of similar
capability, will be on the market. These do a much better
job of using multipath energy constructively, and will
no doubt help not just with rabbit ear reception, but
also to make antenna aiming much less critical with your
outdoor antenna. For example, you might find that aiming
for optimal Baltimore reception gives you plenty of
signal also for Washington stations, without having to
reaim the antenna. From Sterling, my bet is that this
is what you'll find. With STBs now on the market, antenna
aim could be more critical.